Engage 2017 On The Road!
EngageOK will take place in July at regional sites around the state. Due to the number of locations, there will be no exhibitors this year.
We are excited for thousands of educators to attend this free annual training event, which will offer professional development and important updates on federal and state education law. By offering mini-conferences in various locations, we hope to minimize travel and accommodations for teachers and districts while still offering the professional development they need. This new change will also save the agency funding that can be passed along to schools.
We’ve received several questions about Continuing Education Units (CEUs) for Licensed Professional Counselors (LPCs) and Licensed Marriage and Family Therapists (LMFT) at EngageOK On the Road. We’re happy to announce that the conference will offer some sessions approved for those CEUs. Information will be added to the site soon.
EngageOK will offer some sessions approved for School District Encumbrance Clerks and Treasurers to earn required training points.
|EVENT DATES||EVENT TIMES (All locations)|
|July 10, 2017 – Yukon [Open Registration]
July 11, 2017 – Tulsa [Open Registration]
July 12, 2017 – Enid [Open Registration]
July 13, 2017 – Weatherford [Open Registration]
July 18, 2017 – Durant [Open Registration]
July 19, 2017 – Ada [Open Registration]
July 20, 2017 – Cache [Open Registration]
|7AM – Registration
8AM – 9AM – General Session
9AM – 3PM – Breakout Session
Oklahoma State Superintendent of Public Instruction
Welcome to our third annual EngageOK Summer Education Conference! We are “On the Road” again, stopping at Yukon, Tulsa Union, Enid, Weatherford, Durant, Ada and Cache schools. Thanks to the input and advocacy from teachers and administrators, we’ve already accomplished a lot together in just 2 1/2 years:
- Repealed End of Instruction (EOI) tests and replaced them with FREE ACT or SAT affecting 70,000 juniors.
- Protected Reading Sufficiency Act (RSA) parent/teacher committees for 3rd-grade student placement.
- Eliminated all state testing unless federally required, plus U.S. History. We now have the lowest number of tests in 12 years!
- Established “Lead 2 Succeed” & “Moving UP” cohorts for principals with intensive year-round leadership training.
- Realigned graduation requirements from EOI tests to “Individual Career Academic Plans” (ICAP), in partnership with the Oklahoma School Counselors Association and a $2 million grant initiative.
- Implemented new Oklahoma Academic Standards for English language arts, mathematics and health/PE, created for Oklahomans by Oklahomans and vertically aligned to close gaps between grade levels – including, for the first time, Pre-K.
- Repealed the flawed A-F school report card system and replaced it with a true growth model using multiple measures and a dashboard instead of one letter grade. The new system doesn’t double- or triple-count students in the bottom quartile and rewards schools for the growth of all students.
- Removed Value-Added Measures (VAM) as state mandate for TLE (teacher evaluation) and instead worked with teachers to transition to a meaningful Professional Learning Focus.
- Launched eight-year strategic plan to strengthen education.
- Returned retired teachers back to the classroom by removing the salary cap and three-year waiting period, along with passing many other recommendations by the Teacher Shortage Task Force.
I’m looking forward to a great new year with each of you. I am grateful and inspired by your heart and commitment to kids.
Please join me at a noon gathering we’re calling The Joy Lunch Club to continue the conversation with a Q&A. I’d love to see you there!
Joy Hofmeister, State Superintendent of Public Instruction
Conference Contact Details
Chief of Public Affairs
Executive Director of Communications
Assistant Director of Communications
If you have general questions please contact Martha Eaves.